Types of ICT and how they are used
ICT stands for Information Communication & Technology. ICT was created as a result of the use of Computers in Organizations. Computers are used to store data then data is processed and finally we produce information.Information that can be used in presentations, can be sold to clients, can be transfered or published on the Internet and many more... In large organizations you even have ICT departments. In order to store, process, produce information, be fast, efficient and precise we need the help of Technology and this is ICT (the use of computers).
Types of ICT:
- Mainframe Computer - used by large organizations for bulk data processing.
- Minicomputer - Minicomputer is a smaller version of mainframe computer and is used in mid-sized organizations.
- Supercomputer - supercomputers are used for high intensive calculation tasks such as: Weather Forecasting, Climate Research, Physical Simulations.
- PC. PC stands for Personal Computer. The first computer was an IBM. All computers manufactured later on, was said to be IBM compatible, that was to ensure it functions the same way the first IBM computer did. The first computer that was build had the size of a room. Over the years and with the use of new technology we don't have to build a room to have a computer but we can use a computer in our room. Desktop computer is a type of personal computer. Its name says it all. Is a computer that sits on the top of our desk and you can use it for personal as well as office use. We have various brands of such computers. Just to mention few of them: Dell, IBM, Lenovo, Acer, Asus, Toshiba, Samsung, HP, Gateway...
- Laptop - Laptop is another type of PC (personal computer). The name pretty much explains everything. Its a portable, computer that sits on the top of your laps enabling you to work almost anywhere.
- Microcomputers - smaller computers. We have different types of microcomputers.
- Tablet Computers - Its basically a computer similar to laptop instead it has a touch screen either using a stylus -digital pen- or even fingertip as input device. Mac's new iPad would belong to this category.
- Netbook / Notebook - This type of computer is mainly used for surfing and basic office applications. It has limited processing power but extended battery life.
- PDA - Personal Digital Assistant. Before the development of windows phones, phones that can have basic office applications such as calendars, spreadsheets, pdf readers, email clients to check your emails, surf on the net you had PDA's to help you do that. Instead today you only need a new telephone device such an iPhone or HTC or Samsung Omnia that is capable and even better than a PDA.